Saint-Saens's Danse Macabre: November Perfect

In the Catholic faith, we are asked, during the month of November, to reflect on The Four Last Things: Death, Judgement, Heaven and Hell. In the picture book world, I like the idea of using the first part of this month to read darker, haunting or semi-macabre stories (think fairy tales). In having a healthy respect for the supernatural while living as best one can in the state of grace, I really think we have no reason to fear darker themes. And when you treat things in their proper place and have a good understanding of all things ghoulish… kids I think, will too. I mean, my children and I are fascinated by the Martyrs of Otranto for example and on my "money-is-not-a-factor bucket list", I hope to see their shrine someday, complete with the skulls on display. There is no "creepiness" in death really and ideally, it's a glorious passage… but I digress.

I was checking to make sure that Anna Harwell Celenza hadn't produced a book on Mozart (whom we are studying this term) and was reminded with happiness that she had just put out Vivaldi's Four Seasons this summer… but my eye caught another new title I hadn't seen before—produced just this August! And that was Saint-Saens's Danse Macabre. We love Celenza's books in this house (and accompanying CDs) and have purchased four of them now… to supplement our studies of composers.

To be honest, I don't know anything about the Danse Macabre or much about Camille Saint-Saëns either, but I was intrigued by the cover and read up a bit about the history of that piece in particular.  I learned a lot about the Dance particularly
here. ApparentlySaint-Saëns actually went a-loitering in the catacombs to get inspired for this piece! Anyway, during November, before settling down with the comforting, festive Thanksgiving stories, this would be an excellent book to read and composition to study. I unfortunately, have maxed out both my book budget for the month as well as my request for materials to be purchased at the library right now… so I don't have a first-hand review of the book to offer yet.  But I'm certain, like all of Celenza's books, it's excellent…

2 comments:

  1. Love this suggestions! I'll have to track this one down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this post! I love the music of Saint-Saens and the children and I were watching some (pbs?) animated version on youtube during Hallowtide but a beautiful picture book would be great!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...