Pick of the week

After just writing up an article for Soul Gardening's spring issue on wordless books, I am tickled to have found another one. Magpie Magic: A Tale of Colorful Mischief by April Wilson.  The book a feast of imagery from the first person perspective as we see artist's hands draw the magpie outside her window.  As any good story book would have it, the bird then comes to life and what happens next is a witty sort of duel between the bird and artist which ends in a very satisfactory way.

I was unfamiliar with April Wilson and did a little googling to find out that she is an artist and art instructor in London.  Her work is fantastic and I am eager to get my hands on some of her other books.  I am rather dismayed to find that Magpie Magic seems to be out of print already after being published in 1999. Such a pity the treasures that get lost in the bloated publishing world.  In any case, it was an especially welcome find at the library and I encourage you to seek it out yourself!

2 comments:

  1. Just requested this book! Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like such a fun book! Library here I come...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...