Flicka, Snapp, Snurr.

Do you know Maj Lindman? Seeing how she's a Swedish author and during the wintertime, I'm hot and heavy over all things Scandinavian, I thought it a good time to rave about the wonderful little series she created in the 1930s and 40s. They're still in print today!

Snipp, Snapp, and Snurr are three young triplets who get into all sorts of fun predicaments before a happy ending and good moral end the story. We're not talking phenomenal storytelling here. But don't be deceived by the Dick and Jane vintage illustrations either... there is a real, good, edifying story to be told. It's so charming and happy and just the sort of thing to read to a houseful of rowdy boys to perhaps interest them into wanting a respectable sort of day.

My personal favorite is Snipp, Snapp, Snurr, and the Gingerbreadbecause you are guaranteed giggles over three batter covered boys...

Of course, there's also Flicka, Ricka and Dicka who were something of heroines to me when I was a young girl. I always wished they could have been quadruplets and I could've been, oh I don't know... Nicka? Sticka? Blicka? Whatever... I just wanted to have a gaggle of girls around me to have as much fun as these three had. I loved the story of Flicka, Ricka, Dicka and the New Dotted Dresseseven if it was terribly predictable.

See what's so charming about these books is that they are so happily virtuous. They would never exist in today's children's literature world. The drama would be amped up. The girls would be seeking their individuality. But it's quite refreshing to read a sweet, simple story about sweet, simple girls. And I think kids are inwardly hungry for this kind of innocent goodness. Think of Snipp, Snapp, Snurr, Flicka, Ricka, and Dicka as you would a warm bowl of oatmeal in the morning topped off with a dollop of honey and cinnamon... wholesome, sweet, simply good for you.

Here's a quick, random video that shows the inside of Flicka, Ricka, Dicka and their New Skates. The new edition comes complete with paper dolls!

1 comment:

  1. How cool is that! We grew up with one, tattered (ancient) copy of Snipp, Snapp, Snurr and I had no idea there was a series! And they're still in print!

    I heartily agree—in the winter, the Scandinavians know where it's at. (It's all about the colour red.)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...